Sunday, October 9, 2011

Personal Project - Shifting from Chickens to Babies



Last night, I finally came to a conclusion about something that I have been pondering for weeks- I need to change my personal project.  Seriously, deep inside this breaks my heart because I have done quite a bit of research and was really excited about the idea of pursuing backyard chickens.  However, I'm finally beginning to grasp the reality that my life is about to change..and change in a huge way.  

My husband and I are expecting a baby in mid March!  Until last night it hadn't really hit me, but the greatest way I can have a positive impact on our planet at this time in my life is to figure out how to green this baby.  I told my husband, Clint, about this idea and he said, “oh no, does this mean we are going to have to eat lots of green food coloring resulting in a green baby that looks like an umpa lumpa?” Seriously though, umpa lumpas are kind of creepy!



So, what caused the shift?
1.  My Focus.
                  I’ve been researching and reading about backyard chickens truthfully for over a year now.  I love the idea and plan to acquire chickens in the future.  One thing I have discovered is Fall is not the time to begin raising chickens, that should happen in the Spring.  After finding out the wonderful news, I’ve lost my chicken focus!  Now, while I’m reading anything I’m thinking about how I wish I could spend that time educating myself about this wild, unknown, and exciting life ahead.  So, instead of chickens, we will be welcoming a new baby into this world. It is up to us, as responsible parents to figure out how to raise this baby to become the best it can be.  We have a huge opportunity to impact the future in a positive way.   Most importantly, we don’t want the birth of our baby to have a negative impact on his/her life, health, and future, which leads to my next points.

2. Waste
                  Babies link directly with this weeks reading on waste. When I think of baby waste, I immediately think of diapers!  Did you know that 80% of the diaperings in the US are done with disposables accounting for 18,000,000,000 diapers a year?  This adds up to 82,000 tons of plastic and 1,300,000 tons of wood pulp (250,000 trees). There are also environmental impacts associated with cloth diapers.  And, diapers are just the tip of the waste pyramid associated with babies.  My goal of the semester will be to understand this waste pyramid and do everything possible to ensure our baby doesn’t have much of a waste pyramid at all!



3.  Our Consumerist Kids
                  Last night we attended our cousin, Luke’s 4th birthday party.  The first thing Luke said when he saw us was, “did you bring me a present?”  In my head I thought, nope we didn’t bring you a present because in reality you will play with that new plastic toy for approximately 30 minutes and then set it aside to probably never playing with it again.  And, the realistic thought is that the toy will probably break within the first 30 minutes and end up in the local landfill.  The best scenario for the fun new toy is that it may end up re-gifted, sold in a garage sale, or donated to Good Will.  We can’t blame Luke for his response, he is an American child and many American children were raised this way.  But, this is not how we want to raise our child. 
                  This idea of the consumerist child begins at the very beginning- with the baby shower. We fill a baby’s nursery with cloths, toys, gadgets, and a whole lot of stuff before the baby even arrives.  Does a newborn really need 50 stuffed animals to decorate his/her room?  Probably not.  But, what is it that a newborn really does need?  Of the stuff the baby needs, what are the best options?  And, what type of sustainability footprint does the “best” carry? 


4. Life with a baby
                  We have a lot to learn over the next 5 months!  Each day it seems like my list grows and grows.  As of today, some of the topics I know for sure I want to dive into this semester are below and I’m sure this list change and grow.
  • Greening our baby showers
  • Cloth diapers
  • Breast feeding
  • Baby food cook book
  • Toy substitutes


Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, and contacts are all greatly appreciated!!!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I can relate to the desire to have a "green" baby...and it ain't easy. I commend you and Clint, and hope you have a peaceful pregnancy and birth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this will be a great project! im excited to hear about all that you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay as happy as I was about the chickens, I'm even happier about the baby. I've already told you congrats, but I also think this is a personal project which has a lot of substance to it (I just realized this gives a whole new meaning to "personal project") I'm totally with you on the importance of thinking critically about all the unnecessary "stuff" that might come with a child (I can't wait to have my own kids and then not get them anything for Christmas. J/k...kind of)

    I'm the proud uncle of two mind-bendingly gorgeous little nieces (3 and 5) and this post makes me remember that my sister gets a lot of their toys from what I can only describe as a Toy Library (renting for a period of time, playing with, returning) which seemed to me like an interesting way to save money, resources, and have a constantly revolving stream of new play things (if that last one's even something important, which is debatable).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I commend you on your new choice of project! This also means I don't have to worry about exposing you to the news about salmonella in backyard chickens http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/safety/story/2011-08-24/Salmonella-traced-to-backyard-chicken-farms/50128844/1

    Your research list sounds interesting. Since you won't actually have your new addition this semester, it may be valuable to borrow some existing babies and their parents who are going green and find out how they are doing. Rest assured you are not alone in green baby land. Try out some of these "new" green technologies, like clothe diapers, and see how it works with your "focus group". What is the comparison in total energy footprint for clothe diapers vs disposables, etc.

    Will you be naming your child Einstein? Love the mustache.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited for you! And what a great personal project idea to "green' your baby! I'm really interested to read your posts about this, cause it's a topic I haven't considered and thus know very little about, but would love to learn more. Especially about reducing all those darn baby diapers. Getting rid of those has to save money while saving the environment (cause those suckers are expensive and people seem to need a ton of them for their babies).

    ps. China has found a lovely way to avoid baby diapers. And, yes, almost every baby wears these..

    http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/21332633.aspx?MsdVisit=1

    ReplyDelete