Sunday, October 23, 2011

Personal Project - Baby Overload



Green baby research 101 is a bit overwhelming to say the least.  Often, I find myself sitting and thinking, what have I gotten myself into?  You live your life a certain way knowing certain choices you make in your life aren’t going to truly impact anyone but you.  For example, I may decide I’m just not in the mood to exercise or that there is nothing I would rather eat than a candy bar at that very second.  I go ahead and give into my desires, as we all do, knowing the personal consequences.  Well, this baby thing- it’s a different story.  Nearly everything I do right now is impacting another life.  I jokingly laugh and say, “I’m just a vessel.” But, it’s true and it carries with it a stress and worry like I have never experienced before.  Welcome to motherhood!

To put the anxiety I am experiencing to a good use, I began researching ratings and friends advice on some key books that will help guide my research.  And, I obtained some fabulous books!  Currently, I am half way through “Changing Diapers- the hip mom’s guide to modern cloth diapering” by Kelly Wels.  This book is the perfect size and seems to simplify all the complexities associated with cloth diapering.  I have also emailed some friends that use cloth diapers to solicit their advice for a new mom.  I intend to devote and entire blog to my research in this area once I complete the book.  After reading the first half of the book, I have no doubt that I will be using cloth diapers.  How could I use disposable after learning facts such as these?
  •  A disposable diaper contains dioxin, sodium polyacrylate, dyes, fragrances, plastics, toluene, xylene, ethylbenzene, and dipentene.  The EPA considers dioxin to be a cancer-causing agent that can increase the risk of cancer even at low levels.  Sodium polyacrylate, which is the absorbent found in diapers that turns into a gel when wet, was removed from tampons in 1985 because of the chemical’s link to toxic shock syndrome (TSS).  Many of the other products found in diapers have been linked to allergies, irritation, diaper rash, and asthma.
  • Time magazine reported that 27.4 billion disposable diapers are used each year in the US alone, and according to EPA estimates that translates into nearly 4 million tons of waste.  Disposable diapers can last up to 500 years in the common landfill.
  • Every stage in manufacturing disposable diapers requires energy and produces waste.  It takes the energy found in a cup of oil to manufacture one disposable diaper.

I also purchased the book “The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet” by Karin Knight and Tina Ruggiero.  Flipping through the pages of this book made me really hungry.  I cannot wait to make many of the fabulous recipes.  I may bring baby food samples to class one day.  The third book I purchased is called, “The Eco-nomical Baby Guide” by Joy Hatch and Rebecca Kelley.  I can’t wait to read these.

In addition to my book purchasing hiatus, I have also had some wonderful eco-nomical breakthroughs. 
  •  I put a call out to friends and family for used maternity cloths and baby items.  I have acquired 2 bags of maternity clothing, 1 bag of baby cloths, 1 bag of cloth liner inserts and an entire bedroom set (there is even a crib and changing table).  The best part is that I got it all for free!  Reuse at its finest!
  • We have been installing a new dock at our house for the past month and after seeing the pile of scrap trex material we have left over, my husband decided we would make our baby’s first block set.  Once the dock is complete, the cutting will begin.
  • Most exciting of all, my first “green” shower is planned for January.  Some friends of my mom wanted to host a shower for me.  I’m not being sarcastic when I say they are the type of people that are as far from “green” as it gets.  They drive fancy cars, live in fancy homes, and live that fancy lifestyle.  But, they are wonderful people.  They asked if I had a desired theme and I mentioned my goals for the baby.  Surprisingly, they were extremely excited about the “green” shower idea.  We are going to focus on reused, local, sustainable, organic, and ethically produced items!  They are even going to make recycled paper invitations and not use disposable plates and napkins.
As part of this project, I am also working to green my baby while it is in the womb.  The majority of the food I have been eating has been local and organic.  I no longer wear fancy deodorant and am sticking to Tom’s mercury free (I’m not going to lie, I think I smell like a hippy all the time!).  I’m trying to get regular exercise.  But, the part I’m failing at the most is regulating my stress load.  Working a nearly full time job and attending graduate school full time is wearing me out.  But, luckily I have the most amazing husband to help me out and keep me from going haywire!

And…so the project continues!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Who knew diapers were so complex? Bringing food to class always better than bringing diapers to class. Good luck with your "project."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you, girl! I'm so glad you'll be done with school when you have the baby. I know it's tough to take care of yourself while you have so many things on your plate, and to a certain extent, this is the last time for a while that you'll be able to do so much-- once the baby comes, you'll be in babyland: a messy, dreamy, different world. Regardless, though, all the little things you can do to tend *you* will fill you up for when you really need it. I hope they are many!

    ReplyDelete