Monday, November 14, 2011

Personal Project – Local and Re-used


I am about ½ way through the second book for my personal project.  This one is called, “the Eco-nomical Baby Guide” by Joy Hatch and Rebecca Kelley.  The key to a sustainable/green baby is, “to simply avoid purchasing so many of the ‘must have’ gadgets and devices on the market.”  I’m not going to lie; this is especially difficult when you are attempting to register for gifts.  I often find myself overwhelmed with the idea, and I just click on items in hopes that I fill my registry and can be done with this madness. 

The book suggests that if you are eco-nomical you can end up spending only approximately $1,000 on baby gear when the national average is $7,000.  $7,000- are you kidding me? $7,000 on stuff you may only use once.  So, I push forward… hoping to spend much less than $1,000.

My husband, Clint, and I attended the Bloomington Handmade Market and The Green Nursery on Saturday to get an idea of what can be purchased instead of supporting the monster known as Baby’s R Us (I’m not going to lie, the idea of going into this store gives me the sort of feeling you get when you think of going into your own personal hell).  The day was quite a success.  On the drive my husband began searching Craig’s List to see if there was anything out there that we could purchase used (don’t worry, I was driving).

The day was a success!  For $15, we purchased a boppy pillow and a baby bath from a resident in Bloomington.  We set up a registry at The Green Nursery.  And, we purchased a couple handmade gifts for my friend’s baby shower I am attending next weekend.  I was also able to pick up a bunch of cards from local artists that have Etsy sites and have begun compiling a wish list to give to people that attend my shower.  There are so many amazing things being crafted by people in Indiana, I’m excited!   Check out all this cool stuff:

Handmade Stuffed Owls:  made by an artist in Dayton, OH out of reused sweaters from a local thrift store.






Handmade Flannel Cloth Diaper Wipes: made by a woman in South Bend, Indiana, not only are these replacements for disposable wipes, but they can also be used as washcloths during bath time and cleaning up after meals.  I am actually going to try to make these on my own over Christmas break




Handmade Burp Cloth:  Made in Lafayette, IN.  Not only are these functional but they look amazing!







Handmade Bib and Burp Cloth:  Made in Indianapolis, IN.  There is also a cute little spoon holder in the bib!









Handmade Bunny:  These are made by the same artist as above.  The bunny is even backed with fuzzy white chenille.





Handmade Changing Pad:  Another creation by the artist above.  This cute changing pad actually folds into a cute clutch to put in your purse or diaper bag.








Baby's Handmade Book:  This handmade fabric book is made in Morgantown, In. 









Handmade Baby Carrier:  I love this one.  They are made by a lady in Ft. Wayne, In.  What a great idea, to hold your baby and have your hands for use at the same time!








  Handmade Zippered Wet Cloth Diaper Carrying Bag:  Made in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, these cloth diaper bags come in a variety of colors and sizes.  What a great local substitution for the Planet Wise wet bags.  They are even priced relatively similar!





And, so the journey continues…

1 comment:

  1. Super cute baby accessories!!! What great finds!

    ReplyDelete